Remodeling a kitchen can be one of the most rewarding home renovation projects, but also one of the most overwhelming. There are a lot of details that go into creating your dream kitchen, and we can help! Countertops are one of the most-desired kitchen upgrades, and these tips can help you decide what kind works best for your life and style.
There are many different types of countertop options on the market today. These popular styles each have their own personality, benefits and costs.
- When sealed, this natural stone gives a kitchen countertop lots of character with little upkeep needed.
- Ceramic Tile
- One of the most durable options, ceramic tiles make for an eye-catching kitchen counter. Even though the tiles themselves are durable, all the grout can make for difficulty when cleaning.
- Sometimes scoffed at by designers, plastic laminate counters have lots of affordable finishes and styles that can work in any kitchen.
- Engineered quartz is made of ground quartz, resin and pigments, making it available in nearly any color imaginable. It’s nonporous surface make it great for combating water, food particles, and bacteria in kitchens. It’s not cheap, though!
- Beautiful butcher block-style counters bring a warm, natural feel to a kitchen. Even high-quality options like teak sometimes don’t fare well for high-traffic counters like kitchens. Wood countertops can sometimes be used as accents on islands or other prep surfaces.
- Resistant to bacteria and other cleaning chemicals, soapstone is a more expensive option but lasts a long time.
- Recycled glass and cement
- While not cheap, recycled glass can offer a really unique and beautiful addition to a kitchen. It sometimes resembles sea glass and can bring a touch of the sea into the home. Cement counters are durable and hold up to the island elements.
Budget is always a concern when remodeling or redesigning a space. Aside from knowing what different materials cost, here are some other tips to remember when choosing a countertop:
- Get samples to take home and see what works well with your current appliances. Are you willing to paint your walls? If not, make sure the countertop you choose works in your color scheme.
- Compare the different samples at different times of day, with and without the lights on. Materials can appear differently in natural and artificial lights.
- How do the people in your home use the kitchen? If you have small children, a more durable and easy-to-clean countertop will be your best friend. If you don’t cook much or want a “higher-end” look, going with a more luxurious counter may fit your vision better.
- Ask your installer if their bid includes removal and disposal of old countertops as well as installation of the new – your designer can help with this part!
- Don’t be afraid to mix materials to fit your needs. If you love the look of butcher block, consider using it in part of the kitchen for serving rather than preparing food, and a more durable surface elsewhere.
Ask A Designer
A professional can help you get the exact look you want and stay within your budget. Lagnappe has great connections with suppliers and quality contractors in the Caribbean and can help you get the result you want.
About Lagnappe Custom Interiors
Lagnappe Custom Interiors is a full-service interior design firm specializing in bringing the small niceties to a home or commercial space that make it memorable, functional and yours. Based out of St. Thomas, Lagnappe [LAN-YAP] is led by Tiffany Cassidy who enjoys working with clients to create a home that reflects their style and needs. Tiffany marries her artistic and scientific sides together to bring the residents of the Virgin Islands and continental U.S. an interior decorating service that manages the complex and turns it into beauty. Her goal is to not only make a home prettier, but in doing so, make your life better. Visit www.Lagnappe.com for more information.